CBSE schools not to indulge in commercial activities by way of selling of books, stationary, uniforms, school bag etc
CENTRAL BOARD OF SECONDARY EDUCATION
No. CBSE/AFF/CIRCULAR/ 10/2017
The Managers and
Heads of all CBSE affiliated schools
Subject: Advisory to schools not to indulge in commercial activities by way of selling of books, stationary, uniforms, school bag etc and to adhere to the provisions of Affiliation Bye- Laws of the Board.
The Board, time and again have issued advisories to all its affiliated schools not to indulge in commercial activities by way of selling of text books, note books, stationary items, uniforms etc and to adhere to the provisions of Affiliation Bye-Laws of the Board. However, it has been brought to the notice of the Board through various complaints received from parents and other stakeholders that still schools are indulging in commercial activities by way of selling of books and uniforms etc within the school premises or through selected vendors.
2. Rule 19.1 (ii) of CBSE Affiliation Bye-Laws mandates that the society/Trust/Company registered under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 shall ensure that the school is run as a community service and not as a business and that commercialization does not take place in the school in any shape whatsoever.
3. Further, all the schools affiliated to CBSE are required to follow directions given in circular No. Acad/13/2016 dated 12.04.2016 regarding use of NCERT /CBSE textbooks but often the Board receives reports and complaints regarding the pressure exercised by schools on children and their parents to buy textbooks other than NCERT/CBSE.
4. The Board has taken serious view of the above violations. Hence, once again your attention is drawn that Educational Institutions are not commercial establishments and their sole purpose is to provide quality education.
5. Therefore, the schools are directed to desist from the unhealthy practice of coercing parents to buy text books, note books, stationary, uniforms, shoes, school bags etc from within the premise or from selected vendors only.
6. The school management shall ensure strict compliance of the above.
DEPUTY SECRETARY (AFFILIATION)